Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Thursday, August 25

Goings On

It seems like we've all been a little bit absent in the blog world (or maybe I'm telling myself that to make myself feel less guilty). Lately, I've been living by the quote said by my favorite gal, "If it's something you'll regret not doing when you're 80, do it now." Things like going to breakfast with your dad at 8am when you want to sleep in or doing an errand for your mom like buying chocolate chips. It's true, I do like everything Taylor Swift affiliated and I'm a little bit biased, but that quote in particular has really hit home as I prepare to move out (again) and spend my last week at home doing those things.

This week of unemployment has consisted of:
-double haircut appointments with my dad
- buying oil for the car with my dad
-  sleeping on the couch every night 
(maybe just so my mom does wake me up before she 
leaves for work and peck me on the forehead)
-watching countless friends' episodes with my sister
- eating out 4 billion times a day
- driving to soccer games in cda
-spending almost no time with Niklaas and a lot
with people I won't see for 4 months
- waking up at 5:30 to run on the mountain with my mom
(actually, this has yet to happen, but it will happen tomorrow)
- buying school supplies
- making breakfast every morning instead of the usual cereal bowls
(my sister and I are big, big breakfast fans)
- trail bike rides alone listening to josh ritter
- packing. and more packing. and more packing.
- three visits to the post office (+1 after today is done)
-buying my sister headphones
(this took a little bit of convincing)

It's true. Once you do the thing you're not inclined to do in the moment (note waking up at 5:30 for a run), you feel better afterwards knowing it made someone else happy. Some of them are more or less selfless than others (watching friends). But I can say with certainty this week, I won't regret those little things I'd rather not do but are sort of a last chance to do them. I can't really say what I'll be doing next summer and the chance to live with my family for four months might not present itself for a while.  So long summer of 2011, I really liked you.

10 comments:

Marie said...

a 5:30 am run on a mt sounds fab! And exhausting.
Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge

Samantha said...

Sounds like you've had a busy but exciting summer. Breakfast sounds really good right now, haha.

Samantha - Mus(eum)ings
http://museuminternmusings.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/#!/museumings

Unknown said...

i wanna wke up at 530 and run on a mountain!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Lyndsey said...

i.love.this. it definitely makes me appreciate my family alot more and it's great to know that there are some people out there that realise not to take time for granted<3
xx
lyndsey of hellolyndsey

Alex said...

I am so glad you're enjoying the last moments of summer, they are always the best! And waking up it's so difficult at first, but after a good run you feel so great and you have so much free time afterwards! :)!

Bethany Kellen of bunnypicnic said...

i've been doing a lot of normal life stuff too. you'll be back on the blog soon enough!

Unknown said...

I definitely agree with that quote! Lately I've been really glum and wasting my last days of summer, but I think I need to follow in your footsteps :)

Natalie said...

I don't know, it's always fun for me to just do little things here and there, too! Spontaneously. I used to be tightly wound into the predictable comfort of routine, but lately I've just been taking life as it comes, and I find things to just be so much more fun. Like today, I randomly rushed off to join my friends for a night of watching Disney movies and eating cookies dipped in Nutella, and it was so much fun. I'm glad the last bits of your summer are going well. :)

Unknown said...

Wow, it sounds like you have an amazing schedule. I am a bit envious!!

Unknown said...

great quote, and so true! there's no better time to enjoy your life and all the small things that come with it but NOW!

(oh, i've really missed the blogging community and your blog these past months, i'm so glad to be blogging again to catch up on your lives!)