Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Wednesday, January 8

discipline

Dun dun dun.

I don't know where my voice went.

My 'voice'. What a stupid but powerful word used by every English major in every single creative writing workshop critique. Some days, despite my best effort, every word I write sounds fake and forced. Like, I'm trying to make lemonade out of my shoddy prose lemons but failing miserably, or some silly life metaphor like that.

You see. I don't believe in New Years resolutions. Never have, never will. When goals are too unattainable, I'll get lazy and quit halfway through (i.e. run a half marathon- reached nine miles and never ran another mile again). But if they're too easy, I also procrastinate and never do them either (i.e. write for ten minutes a day in my journal - nine days straight and then nothing for a month). There's a happy medium somewhere in there and last year I was actually able to achieve all of my New Years GOALS because they felt unattainable but not impossible. I made a to do list for myself and knocked those bullet items out like nobody's business.

This year, my goals aren't quite so far fetched. I don't have any 'big' goals for myself. I accomplished a lot last year and my goals are somewhat more long term ones I hope to accomplish in the next couple years at the moment. This year, I want to attack my nasty habits and flaws. It's one thing to move to a city alone for a summer and work full time, for example, but another to be able to do that but not be able to do simple things like take out the trash and keep my dirty clothes off the floor. Or eat servings of greens and fruit a day. Or establish routine in my life. Or work on those long term goals I have. What kind of adult am I if I can accomplish the big things and not the small ones?!

My goal for 2014 is simple and that is to focus. Focus on staying organized in my life because I seriously struggle with the little things. Utilizing some dang discipline in my life and sticking to it not because I want to, but because I need to.

Looking at the big picture of things, it's the small attention to details that can set someone apart from failure and success. I can't achieve the big things without putting in the extra effort to finish them. That being said, I want to write every single day in 2014. 750 words. Daily. Of anything.

I am trying. I'm determined that this is the year that I prove to myself that I really can do everything to achieve my goals. I can apply for the big internships and get them AND I can work on my own projects with long term end goals every single day. I can work every day towards something I might not see the success of for years. I want to prove to myself that I am passionate about what I am doing and I will do anything it takes to get there. Discipline. I won't be the majority that gives up because something gets hard and I won't be the majority that won't put in the last 10% to make something good great.

Have at me 2014 and this beautiful challenge in front of me. I'm armed and prepared. DSC_1208

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think 90% of people in this earth struggles with resolutions >.<

Your writing is inspirational : )

Veronika Novotny said...

I love the idea of writing daily, and I just might have to join in on this fabulous idea. Happiest 2014 Maggie. And that photo? Presh!! xoxo

By The Shore, a life + style blog

Lizzie said...

Best of luck with working on this discipline. It seems like a great place to start.

becca said...

hey, accomplishing big things but not small things is awesome in its own way. I only do small things, so we're kind of even.

here's to an amazing, happy, accomplished, joyous 2014!

J said...

I need to do a writing challenge for myself because I haven't really written for my blog or for my fanfiction in so long, but I'll write for other things. I need to make a daily to-do list. :)

Emma Jane said...

Love love love this. It's so applicable, especially to writing. In my experience writers are so lazy and when you lose that voice, you can become paralyzed for weeks and not write a single thing.

I did the NaNoWriMo challenge this last year and had to write 50,000 words in one month. I did it and man 2,000 words a day is so hard but it taught me so much discipline. And it taught me that it's ok to let writing be crap sometimes. Just get it out on the page!

You will rock 2014! I cannot wait to hear all about it :)

Em
Tightrope to the Sun

Ebony Arwen said...

That's my one goal too. Finish what I start and FOCUS. We got this Mags!

I love your jumper :) We were JUST talking about kitschy christmas jumpers and being unable to wear them in Aussie at the 'appropriate' time.